With Scotland playing Wales in the 6 Nations Rugby, we felt it time to organise a friendly competition with our Welsh Lib Dem friends to see who can make the most calls before the game.
It isn't just glory we are playing for, but also to help us get more Liberal Democrat MSPs elected!
If you can help us, please join us on our big Zoom call running throughout the day from 10am up until the match - you can register for Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUlduitrj4rGtQF71xnR_mj3NOPWqJe_q7h
What will I be speaking to voters about?
Our aim when speaking to voters is to:
- Ask voters how they are getting on in the current lockdown.
- Ask if they would like to sign up to receiving email updates from ourselves
- Understand how people are feeling towards the Scottish Liberal Democrats, who they plan on supporting in May and if they are supporters ask them to help our campaign.
On the day we want to have lots of short conversations with lots of people. Helping them where we can, and understanding their views, but we're not trying to persuade them to vote for us nor are we trying to win them over to our way of thinking - not at the moment anyway...
What will I need?
We have prepared a script that includes the questions we will want you to ask people, and a list of people to phone. All this will be held in Connect, the Liberal Democrat online campaigning system. It has a Virtual Phone Bank function that tells you who to call (and stops two party activists from calling the same person) and lets you record what they tell you. It is fully GDPR compliant and stores the data securely.
You will need a computer or tablet with internet connection so that you can access Connect, and a telephone to make telephone calls from. These do ideally need to be two separate devices as it's incredibly difficult to use Connect on a smartphone while also using it to make calls.
Do you have a Connect account?
You will need a Connect account. If you don't have one please contact James Calder at [email protected]
What will I have to do?
Before starting you should download a copy of the script which will be made available on the day. Please read it in full. If you have a printer it may be worth printing it off so that you have it by your side as well as on your screen.
To make calls:
- Log on to your account at https://connect.libdems.org.uk.
- Select "My Voters" at the top of the page.
- Select Virtual Phone Bank - which is bottom right of the home page. There you will see a list of the Virtual Phone Banks for your region.
- Select the Virtual Phone Bank for your constituency or the one you wish to call.
- Read the script once again before starting, and read the Top Tips at the bottom of this page.
- Start making the telephone calls, the telephone number you'll need to call will be at the top of the page - please be aware that it is against the law to dial 141 to withhold your number when phoning a Virtual Phone Bank. If someone does call you back, explain that you were calling from the local Liberal Democrats just to check that they are ok at this time and have access to the support and information they need.
- Follow the script and record their responses on Connect. Remember to read the required GDPR statement (it'll be in the script) when asking for someone's e-mail address.
The Timetable for Team Scotland in the Mara-phone Challenge
9:45am Zoom meeting opens.
10.00am Welcome and briefing on the day ahead.
10:00am Start phoning.
1.15pm - Lunch
1:45pm Afternoon session starts with Ed Davey MP, leader of the Liberal Democrats.
2.00pm Start phoning.
4:30pm Wrap up and final debrief.
4:45pm Settle down to watch Scotland winning against Wales in the rugby!
And finally... some Top Tips
- Before dialling, check the names of the people in the household you are due to call. You can find these at the top of the page.
- Always start off by checking that you are speaking to the right person.
- Smile when you speak. It comes through in your voice.
- Stick to the questions in the script, but ask them in a way that's comfortable for you. You don't have to robotically read out each one exactly as written.
- Record each response in Connect as you go along.
- If the telephone number doesn't work, you don't get through to the household you were expecting, or you don't get an answer, there is a special question where you can record this.
- If you're calling a landline and you have more than one person listed ask to speak to each person in turn.
- Thank them for their time before bringing the call to a close.
Google map and directions