Post-natal depression and depression during pregnancy affect up to one in five women. One in two women who experience it will go undetected and untreated.
That’s why we’re proposing a radical new plan for maternal mental health.
Here’s what we want to see:
- The six week post-natal check to include support from a GP and Health Visitor with specific training on maternal mental health
- Referrals to suitable community support networks which are supported by a health visitor
- Inpatient care to allow mothers to continue caring for their babies and be close to home
- A new campaign to remove the stigma of mental ill health for new mothers
- Devise a new plan to increase core training for GPs and health visitors in identifying and treating maternal mental health
Sign up here to back our campaign to get the Scottish Government to introduce this comprehensive perinatal mental health plan.