On this page you can find quick and easy links to upcoming party events.
Members are welcome to add their own events. To add an event, please email [email protected] or call 0131 337 2314 and ask to speak to Colum.
Phone bank events
Molly Nolan and the Highland Lib Dem team are making calls to help us win in Caithness, Sutherland and Ross. Here is details of the sessions:
Mondays 6pm to 7.30pm - https://zoom.us/j/97881145413?pwd=YWpkcDFjRDVTL0JGcWY4Q2dlZXRndz09
Wednesdays 6pm to 7.30pm - https://zoom.us/j/91422869674?pwd=dCtQUWMybXdpMU9LbUxWc2dZaGg4QT09
North East Scotland Maraphone
Join the North East Scotland team for the National Maraphone from 11am-3pm on Saturday 6 February- get in touch with Rosemary Bruce for further information. Here is the Zoom details: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88612148508?pwd=TTFOQVRETzJoYzNWN2w3bFVmdnF2dz09
North East Scotland Weekly Canvassing
From 1st Feb, we plan to have phone canvassing at the following times in the NE region :
Monday 6.30 – 8pm – Aberdeen seats
Tuesday 6.30 – 8pm – Aberdeenshire West
Wednesday 6.30 – 8pm – Aberdeenshire East and Banff & Buchan Coastal
Thursday 6.30 – 8pm – Angus and Dundee seats
Saturday 11am – 3pm – whole NE region
You can, of course, telephone canvass at another time more suitable to yourself too!
It would really help our campaign in the North East if you could join us in our telephone canvassing.
National Maraphone - Lothian
Join the Lothian phonebanking team calling for the National Maraphone on 6 February from 11am-4pm. RSVP on the form to sign up to get involved.
We are also phonebanking events throughout the month - if you RSVP we will keep in touch with you. Here are our dates and times:
Tuesday 02/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Thursday 04/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Saturday 06/02/21 (National Maraphone) - 11am-4pm
Monday 08/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Wednesday 10/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Saturday 13/02/21 - 11am-2pm
Tuesday 16/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Thursday 18/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Saturday 20/02/21 - 11am-2pm
Monday 22/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Wednesday 24/02/21 - 5pm-8pm
Saturday 27/02/21 - 11am-2pm
You can join Zoom calls for phoning residents Mid Scotland and Fife at the following times:
Monday, Thursday and Friday evenings from 6pm
Saturday afternoons from 2-4pm
Join the team for the following phone banks:
Wednesday 17 February at 6-7.30pm
Every Thursday 6-8pm
Every Saturday 2-4pm
Join the Scottish Team for our fourth big Maraphone event! We are arouind on Zoom throughout Saturday as we aim to make even more calls than in the previous events!
You can register here for our big Zoom event taking place from 10am-5pm:
What will I be speaking to voters about?
Our aim when speaking to voters is to:
- Ask voters how they are getting on in the current lockdown.
- Ask if they would like to sign up to receiving email updates from ourselves
- Understand how people are feeling towards the Scottish Liberal Democrats, who they plan on supporting in May and if they are supporters ask them to help our campaign.
On the day we want to have lots of short conversations with lots of people. Helping them where we can, and understanding their views, but we're not trying to persuade them to vote for us nor are we trying to win them over to our way of thinking - not at the moment anyway...
What will I need?
We have prepared a script that includes the questions we will want you to ask people, and a list of people to phone. All this will be held in Connect, the Liberal Democrat online campaigning system. It has a Virtual Phone Bank function that tells you who to call (and stops two party activists from calling the same person) and lets you record what they tell you. It is fully GDPR compliant and stores the data securely.
You will need a computer or tablet with internet connection so that you can access Connect, and a telephone to make telephone calls from. These do ideally need to be two separate devices as it's incredibly difficult to use Connect on a smartphone while also using it to make calls.
Do you have a Connect account?
You will need a Connect account. If you don't have one please contact James Calder at [email protected]
What will I have to do?
Before starting you should download a copy of the script which will be made available on the day. Please read it in full. If you have a printer it may be worth printing it off so that you have it by your side as well as on your screen.
To make calls:
- Log on to your account at https://connect.libdems.org.uk.
- Select "My Voters" at the top of the page.
- Select Virtual Phone Bank - which is bottom right of the home page. There you will see a list of the Virtual Phone Banks for your region.
- Select the Virtual Phone Bank for your constituency or the one you wish to call.
- Read the script once again before starting, and read the Top Tips at the bottom of this page.
- Start making the telephone calls, the telephone number you'll need to call will be at the top of the page - please be aware that it is against the law to dial 141 to withhold your number when phoning a Virtual Phone Bank. If someone does call you back, explain that you were calling from the local Liberal Democrats just to check that they are ok at this time and have access to the support and information they need.
- Follow the script and record their responses on Connect. Remember to read the required GDPR statement (it'll be in the script) when asking for someone's e-mail address.
The Timetable for Team Scotland in the Mara-phone Challenge
9:45am Zoom meeting opens.
10.00am Welcome and briefing on the day ahead.
10:00am Start phoning.
1.00pm - Lunch
1:30pm Afternoon session starts
4:45pm Wrap up and final debrief.
And finally... some Top Tips
- Before dialling, check the names of the people in the household you are due to call. You can find these at the top of the page.
- Always start off by checking that you are speaking to the right person.
- Smile when you speak. It comes through in your voice.
- Stick to the questions in the script, but ask them in a way that's comfortable for you. You don't have to robotically read out each one exactly as written.
- Record each response in Connect as you go along.
- If the telephone number doesn't work, you don't get through to the household you were expecting, or you don't get an answer, there is a special question where you can record this.
- If you're calling a landline and you have more than one person listed ask to speak to each person in turn.
- Thank them for their time before bringing the call to a close.