An exciting opportunity has arisen for a self-starting and dynamic individual to join Scottish Liberal Democrat Leader Willie Rennie and his team in the post of Campaign Organiser and Constituency Assistant. Based within the party office of the North East & Central Fife Liberal Democrats in Cupar, this combined post will focus to assisting Willie Rennie in his duties as the MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife and play a key role in his Scottish Parliament election campaign.
The successful applicant will have strong organisational skills, with a thorough knowledge and understanding of current Scottish politics and election campaigning. The ability to produce effective campaign literature is a key part of the role. Excellent communication, organisation, digital and volunteer management skills are all essential, as is the ability to work innovatively and collaboratively, with personal initiative, tenacity and in a results focused manner.
The post-holder will be expected to establish positive working relationships across a range of key individuals, groups and stakeholders. The post-holder will have scope to influence the development of the campaign.
This post operates on a full time basis (35 hours per week) and will involve regular evening and weekend working. Core office hours will be as agreed with the line manager. The post is offered initially on a contract basis until 31st May 2016, with a probationary period of 3 months, and the potential for contract extension after the Scottish Parliament elections in May 2016
2. DUTIES OF THE POST
Reports to: Willie Rennie MSP, Mid-Scotland & Fife and Leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats and Adam Stachura, Scottish Director of Campaigns, with day to day supervision by the Convener of North East & Central Fife Liberal Democrats (or nominee).
To co-ordinate and oversee the development, implementation and day to day running of campaign activity across North East Fife and assist Willie Rennie is his role as Member of the Scottish Parliament for Mid-Scotland and Fife.
Main Activities / Responsibilities
- Work with the Scottish Director of Campaigns and local Campaign Team to develop and implement the campaign plan for North East Fife as agreed by the Strategy Committee of North East and Central Fife Liberal Democrats.
- Work with the Campaign Manager to ensure all Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are met or exceeded and that these are reported on a regular basis to the Campaign Team and Scottish Director of Campaigns, co-ordinating data handling to provide timely campaign management information
- Oversee, create and support the production of Parliamentary or campaign literature across the region, ensuring this conveys the agreed political messages as advised by Willie Rennie MSP, Scottish Director of Campaigns and the local campaign team.
- Monitor local media and develop new media stories for Willie Rennie MSP.
- Work with local party activists across the constituency to ensure literature is distributed efficiently and delivered within agreed deadlines
- Organise constituency visits and meetings with local businesses and organisations for Willie Rennie MSP
- Work with colleagues and local party activists to maintain and update photo library to maximise effective use of visual imagery in campaign
- Support the Campaign Team to develop and maintain a regular programme of voter identification (face to face and by phone) and membership recruitment across the region
- Oversee, create and support appropriate digital campaigning that delivers key campaign messages, voter identification and effective communication with members & supporters.
- Identify, engage, support and lead volunteers to enable them to participate in voter identification, literature distribution, clerical work and other relevant activities
- Attend and actively contribute to Campaign Team meetings and take minutes of actions
- Develop volunteer recruitment initiatives in conjunction with the local Campaign Team.
- Plan, co-ordinate and run campaign events (eg action weekends) for volunteers from the local area.
- Identify training requirements for members and work with the Scottish Director of Campaigns to ensure this is provided
- Contribute as appropriate to national party campaigning activity which supports the achievement of the Scottish Liberal Democrats’ objectives, as determined by the Scottish Director of Campaigns.
- Engage in continuous personal development to maintain and improve knowledge and skills as required within a challenging and ever changing environment, including accessing appropriate training provided by the state and federal parties under guidance from the Scottish Director of Campaigns in consultation with the MSP and Campaign Manager
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the post, as directed by the Scottish Director of Campaigns. So this list of duties is not exhaustive.
3. PERSON SPECIFICATION
The following criteria are considered essential:
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills to be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, members, external organisations
- Excellent written communication skills
- Relevant work experience in either campaigning / marketing / volunteer management or politics
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing work priorities and remain cool under pressure
- Ability to work independently as required, with minimal supervision, and work effectively within a small team
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve common goals
- Ability to proactively engage with volunteers in a confident manner, to persuade them to participate in campaigning activities
- Strong coordination, planning and organisation skills, along with the ability to solve problems creatively
- Strong ICT skills, including familiarity with resources such as Microsoft Office packages, web design, databases and data collection systems, DTP and social media
- Familiarity with current issues within UK politics and sympathetic to the values and principles of the Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Ability to attend meetings or events in the evenings or weekends
The following criteria are considered desirable:
- Work experience within a political or campaigning environment
- Experience working with and managing volunteers
- Experience of media relations
- Experience using social media channels for an organisation or individual
- Experience of software packages such as PagePlus, Connect, Nationbuilder, Microsoft Office
- Clean driving licence
4. SALARY, CONDITIONS OF SERVICE AND BENEFITS
- The salary is £18,000 - £24,000, dependent on experience, plus pension contribution
- The location is within the Local Party and constituency office of Willie Rennie MSP, 16 Millgate, Cupar, Fife, KY15 5EG
- Annual leave is 25 days per year plus 8 public holidays
- The period of notice will be 1 month and there will be an initial 3 month probationary period
5. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Applicants are required to complete a CV and covering letter, and indicate the name of two referees, one of which should be your current or most recent employer. Please note that these referees may be contacted without permission unless you indicate that you would prefer otherwise.
Your application should explain why you have the energy, skills, knowledge and understanding of political campaigning or other relevant experience to make a real difference in the post.
Applications should be sent to Adam Stachura at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be received by Monday 29th June 2015
Informal enquiries may be made in the first instance by telephone to Adam Stachura, Scottish Director of Campaigns on 0131 3372314 or email email@example.com
We value diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community