Jamie Stone MP is looking for a hard-working and enthusiastic individual to join his team as a Communications Officer.
The role would promote his Parliamentary work and profile, and to undertake press, communications and social media work as appropriate.
Salary and hours: £22,000-£27,000 dependent on experience and in line with Parliamentary pay scales. 37.5 hours per week. Work outside standard office hours will be required on occasions by agreement.
The constituency office in Tain although travel throughout the constituency will be required.
Purpose of job:
This position with Jamie Stone MP is to help build and maintain the profile of the MP in local and regional media and through the MP’s digital channels by securing regular and relevant coverage in print, broadcast and online outlets.
- Pro-active and re-active communications with all media
- Manage the MP’s website contents
- Establish a social media presence in the constituency and publicise surgeries etc.
- Follow up on social media queries and comments.
- Preparing media briefings
- Publicise the Member’s parliamentary duties on social media
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups
The successful candidate will be hard working, flexible, organised, pragmatic and politically astute. They will have experience of working in a busy environment. They will be willing and able to support the MP administratively and logistically and be willing and able to work with fellow staff members.
- Experience of working with the press and media
- Good written and verbal communication skills especially with article writing and press releases
- Strong attention to detail
- Awareness of local, regional and national political issues
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Ability to create and sustain a positive working relationship with the MP and external bodies that generates confidence, respect, credibility and trust
- Will have a working knowledge of standard office practices and computer packages
- Experience working in a busy office
- Will be sympathetic to the aims and objectives of Jamie Stone MP
- Experience of engaging with a wide range of audiences on behalf of others
- Experience using social media as a communication tool
- Experience of creating content for websites and writing newsletter emails
- Experience of analysing and interpreting data and presenting it in an easy to understand format
- Knowledge of the constituency and local issues
- Driving license and use of a car
Apply with no more than a 2 page CV and 1 page covering letter and email to email@example.com
Closing date: 12pm on 11th September 2017.
We value diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community