We are seeking a communications officer to join our busy team of staff at the Scottish Parliament.
Job Title: Communications Officer
Salary: Starting £22k - £24k
The primary responsibilities of the postholder will be to work in a leading role with the small staff team at Holyrood to ensure that the Scottish Liberal Democrats’ communications are delivered in a professional manner. This will provide Liberal Democrat MSPs, and to a more limited extent the wider Scottish Liberal Democrat party, with communication support. This will involve work as a day-to-day press officer but will also include digital and social media communications, conference communications, materials for members’ communications, and planning support for events and visits.
The post-holder will be expected to demonstrate an ability to understand and promote political positions and policy; they will be expected to build credibility with journalists and commentators; they will be expected to work quickly and accurately under pressure; and they should demonstrate an affinity with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats.
1. Timely drafting and distribution of reactive lines to breaking news and the issues of the day;
2. Working with other staff to produce pro-active media initiatives;
3. Maintaining the news content of the Scottish Liberal Democrat website, and developing digital and social media content;
4. Filling broadcasting bids for radio and television;
5. Drafting articles for campaign leaders and MSPs;
6. Planning for, and accompanying MSPs on, visits away from Parliament;
7. Ensuring that MSPs are fully briefed before media appearances;
8. Providing on-call cover at the weekends and in the evening as part of a rota;
9. Pro-actively seeking slots on broadcast media for campaign leaders;
10. Developing a professional working relationship with Scottish based political and specialist journalists;
11. Representing the views and outlook of the Scottish Liberal Democrat MSPs - and wider party - to journalists;
12. Maintaining an up to date distribution list for journalists, stakeholders and Liberal Democrats;
13. Working with party staff to support party conferences and other events, including leading on the development of a communications plan;
14. Working with other staff and MSPs to develop and implement a communications strategy;
15. Maintaining an overview and awareness of political and policy developments in Scotland and elsewhere;
16. Other duties as may be required to support the Scottish Liberal Democrats.
Closing Date: 5 October 2016
Applications should be received by 5pm.
Interviews will be in Edinburgh and will take place on 11th October.
The post is available for an immediate start.
Applicants should submit a CV along with a covering letter that addresses the expectations contained in the job details. These should preferably be sent by email.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
or to Matthew Clark, MG.08, The Scottish Parliament Edinburgh EH99 1SP.